What happens when your cat takes to urinating outside the cat litter box? Even a die hard pet lover will have to admit that besides the smell of cat urine being terrible, the stain is sometimes almost impossible to remove. And this is not just from floors, but upholstery, carpets, bedding or just about anywhere else. Pet urine odour is nearly impossible to mask. But it is important to neutralize the odour to prevent the cat from becoming a repeat offender and of course to avoid being an embarrassment to you. But by treating the source of the smell, you can effectively get rid of a urine odour in your home. Here’s our guide to understanding and handling your pet urine smells and stain problems.
Why do cats urinate outside of their litter box?
Whether the cat pees on a carpet, a piece of furniture, bed linens, or your clothes, it is important to neutralise the odour. This is necessary to prevent the cat from becoming a repeat offender. Cats often return to a spot where they have previously urinated if the odour is not eliminated.
• If your kitten or cat has not yet been house trained, then it will not know the correct location of where it can go to relieve itself. So proper potty training is most essential as soon as you get your pet, to help avoid any pet urine mishaps.
• Usually kittens and aging/sick cats tend to have continence issues. We tend to be sympathetic towards them, but then that doesn’t mean you have to live in a place stinking of cat pee. And your pets should not be allowed to ruin the furniture as these older or sick animals tend to have the worst smelling urine.
• Another thing to remember is that wherever your pet goes to relieve itself, in their mind that area becomes the bathroom for them to visit again. It’s also an open invitation for other pets to visit that area. The scent remains as a reminder to the other pets that this is where to go – even if you clean it up.
• Cats also have a tendency to mark their territory outside the litter box – it maybe in hidden corners or even on the carpet.
What causes cat pee to stink?
Cat urine is normally not all that different from most other animals’ urine. But if it is left unnoticed, that’s where the problem of bad smells in your home begins. Cat urine stains and odours can end up being an embarrassment especially when visitors come to your home.
• Urine stains from your pet’s accident can leave behind lingering odours. This is due to the odour-causing bacteria found in urine that decomposes and gives off an ammonia-like odour.
• Even after the stained area is cleaned, microscopic bacteria can remain behind and that leads to the unpleasant smell that lingers around.
• Besides the smell of pet urine, male cats eliminate the powerful hormones when they pee. Their testosterone-spiked urine signals other males to stay away and lets females know they’re around. Hence it’s always best to have your male cats neutered.
Why do cats spray?
Most cast urinate on bare floors, carpet, furniture, etc by squatting. However some cats are found to spray urine on vertical surfaces around the home. This can end up in dirty furniture and walls.
• Spraying could be due to hormones or various other reasons. Unfixed females spray to let tomcats know they are ready to mate, whereas unfixed males spray to mark their territory. To avoid such an inconvenience, its best to get female cats spayed at six months and male cats neutered.
• Cats are also known to spray out of anxiety, stress. It could also be out of frustration with the circumstances they are in such as insufficient playtime, territorial disputes with other cats or restrictive diets. In such situations it is important for you to identify and remove the cause of stress. Discuss these issues with your veterinarian and work with them to develop a solution to minimize your cat’s stress.
Are you are tired of constantly cleaning up your cat’s urine and there’s no positive outcome? The good news is that tough cat urine stains and cat urine smells can be eliminated. Don’t worry, you don’t have to let it ruin your home value. We are here for you!
Classique Chem-Dry is a certified professional cleaning company. We not only remove pet urine odours but also clean and restore carpets, rugs and upholstery. We use only cleaning products that are safe and non-toxic for you, your kids and your pets. Our goal is to clean for the health of your entire family. Contact us today to know more about our Pet Urine Odour Removal service or any other of our specialised services.